Is it even accurate to call them meat balls? Seeing that there is no meat in them? I’m not too sure about that.
Anyway hello everyone, I’m super excited about this post because it is about food duh and because I finally got round to making B’s favourite (or almost ) dish for his birthday! Of course that doesn’t beat our vegan burger and fries here (or down below). So today’s post is about making this babies here…. I share the full process and hope you get to really enjoy these as your meat substitute. Being vegetarian is honestly an interesting challenge… especially being a fun vegetarian and I really enjoy it especially because I can’t stand the smell of meat!!
Let’s get started with today’s recipe.
2 packs Textured soya protein (I used sossi mince from Nakumatt)
Bread crumbs (these you will just have to eyeball sorry)
Capsicum (its optional)
Garlic (to taste)
Ginger (fresh works amazing)
Any other spice you deem necessary
- Fry onion and garlic and ginger in a pan until almost browning
- Put your two packs of sossi and stir ( don’t salt if you use sossi because it is pre-salted)
- You will need bits of water to help it soften a bit (or better yet use a non stick pan) and also to avoid having it stick in your pot (of course some of it will)… don’t make it soupy or very wet.
- Once it has softened… put it aside to cool. Preferably in a tray
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and you may add a spice as well
- Once the sossi has cooled a bit, you may pour your egg into the mixture and begin to mix.
- Carefully add breadcrumbs… bit by bit until the mixture can be molded into balls. (think about how you mold ugali in your hand… yes, a bit like that) the mixture shouldn’t be too wet and it should hold on its own
Heat oil in a pan, and deep fry the balls until they are crusty….
These can be served as a snack… everybody was already eating even before I stewed them!!
You can also stew them the traditional way… like egg curry.
Do let me know if you tried this recipe… or a similar one by tagging me on instagram @nyake_bondo (be sure to folllow as well!!! or leaving a comment below!!!
Love and love